09 August 2015

Seventy Years After Another War Ended

How often to you consider the true consequences of war and peace?



In enlightened minds, the healthy celebration of peace is only occasionally likely to be euphoric.  Although many people consider it understandable to express relief in a variety of ways, particularly after many years of distress, feeling euphorically victorious is only truly warranted when peace can be experienced everywhere.

Several weeks ago, a quiet celebration was held here in my salon.  It occurred just after the seventieth anniversary of Victory in Europe was being experienced in the world.

Only a few of my closest colleagues were invited along to the early breakfast gathering.  I had just finished writing a few notes in my Adelaidean boudoir when they started to arrive.

The previous day, many visitors had been in attendance in the parlour for the examination of parliamentary democracy in action, particularly in its place of origin. Quite early in the morning, ideas were certainly brewing.

By mid morning, in the parlour, the most distinguished guests wished to explore various mysteries.  They thought about the most relevant events of five years ago.  My guests usually wish to place discussions in the most suitable historical context.

By early afternoon, after a light luncheon, the conversation had developed in more detail in the direction of enlightened democracy. It is essential for everyone, on such occasions, to discuss the political legitimacy of divided kingdoms.  Without examining such matters, it is impossible to understand the meaning of a majority.

In view of this, at breakfast the following day, during my salon for world peace, much thought was given to the meaning of victory in an enlightened democracy and how that ideal compares with events in the world of mortals.  It is well known that I am able to view humanity as if the earth exists within a celestial sphere, hence my guests eagerly awaited my opinion while tea was poured.

Victory in Europe occurred on 8 May 1945.  I remember the occasion well, of course, as a celestial teapot took me to Trafalgar Square in London a few days beforehand in preparation.  I landed next to a large lilac tree in full bloom.

My duties, at that time, required me to provided the definitive text for the necessary documentation for peace in Europe.  Work on the words had begun early the previous year, hence I was eager to supervise the exchange of signatures as quickly as possible.

Providing a similar instrument for elsewhere in the world was a little more difficult, however.  I always prefer to work in the guise of Urania, rather than uranium, whenever humans are belligerent.  I certainly do not wish to be in the guise of Pluto or plutonium.

Occasionally, I have worked as Athena or Minerva.  Often, I am called upon to work as Thalia or one of the other muses, though I am sufficiently well known to equate with Calliope on most occasions.  It is why I am often regarded as the Muse of the World.

My epic artistic duties are well known, hence I have often presented myself to the world in the guise of a great artist - with her ethereal permission, of course.  It is my duty, always, to be a guide towards peace in the world, to the best of my ability, with the consensual assistance of other personages whenever appropriate.  Yet I am also required to interact with the world simultaneously, at all times, as a bodhisattva.

The breakfast, here in my salon, on Saturday 9 May this year, was obviously Japanese.  The usual dining room furnishings were placed to one side while small, occasional tables were dotted around the room, with cushions scattered on the floor.  The small tables and the cushions were then placed serenely in a suitably formal arrangement for our elegant repast.

Our topic of conversation was mainly devoted to the word Pacific rather than Victory.  A copy of the Maris Pacifico was placed on the wall for the occasion.

On 8 May 1945, crowds gathered in London to celebrate, as they did in many parts of Europe.  Here in Australia, however, the Japanese were still a threat.  I was required to be Urania to ensure my scientific credentials were presented appropriately.  Unfortunately, no-one on the Manhattan Project wished to listen to me.  I am not a man, of course, though I am known to wear a hat quite frequently.

This is why I spent the early morning in my boudoir, on 9 May 2015, writing notes.  My political work from Australia is often regarded as a philanthropic gift of the educational variety. I am never the subject of surveillance by taxation authorities.  It means that I can remain devoted to my duties without restrictions.

Today is 9 August 2015.  Over the past few days I have been sitting quietly meditating here with a few of my Japanese friends, for obvious reasons.  Several friends from Korea, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Malaysia, Burma and Australia have just arrived to join us.  I have not invited anyone from the so-called United States of America to be here, mainly because they prefer to refer to the forthcoming occasion as victory over Japan.

It is exceedingly distasteful to gloat. It may even be considered to be imperialist.  Suffering is always terrible to endure, regardless of whether it is caused by authoritarian inhumanity or a misguided sense of righteousness.

My guests and I shall sit here for at least another week, interspersed with yogic stretching and other exercises to ensure our health remains acceptable.  We know that the surrender of the Empire of Japan on 15 August 1945 was a momentous occasion, but it was meant to be a victory for peace.  It was not meant to be a source of oppression or revenge.

At the same time, it is necessary for everyone to gain an accurate perspective of history, regardless of their ancestry, hence the events here in this salon at present.  The official document ending the second world war was signed on 2 September 1945.  Yet the troubles for the future of the world were just beginning.

Many ladies are here.  We have been sipping tea, of course.  We have also been examining a wide range of essential reports, some of which are as follows:

1. Women in the political arena in Australia

2. Introduction to women's non-party political organisations

3. Women's Non-Party Political Association

4. The Australian Federation of Women Voters

5. Introduction to the Women's Electoral Lobby

6. A history of the Women's Electoral Lobby

It is important to note that seventy years after victory in the Pacific, many women and girls around the world are still oppressed, as are many other persons lacking wealth and/or influence.  The euphemisms for their abuse are many.

Although many occasions in my salon for world peace are not recorded for public perusal, a few notes may occasionally be made regarding particularly relevant matters:

a)  A culture of peace

b)  Peace through good reasoning

c)  The celebratory essence of world peace

d)  Where peace begins

e)  Training for peace

f)  Leadership for a peaceful world

g) Peaceful points of reference


At the time of the breakfast meeting here on 9 May, elections in Britain were shaped by concerns about nuclear weapons.  Remembering Victory in Europe Day seems at odds, however, with the challenges ahead for unity, peace and prosperity in that part of the world.

I am sure you are aware that reflecting on the past can take many forms. Yet is is always necessary to be aware of scare tactics used for selfish purposes.  In addition, military displays may disguise ulterior motives, regardless of the significance of events.

Fairer voting systems are possible with an improved presentation of accurate information and its additional analysis.  While we meditate on the possibility of peace in the world, with the forthcoming remembrance after seventy years passing since the purported victory in the Pacific, it is necessary to remember that true peacefulness in the world has not yet occurred.

Once you have finished your own meditations, do join my guests in the parlour for some proper tea, delicious democracy and delightful conversations.  Being able to do so is part of the truly peaceful victory everyone deserves.